If you’re often mixing up your E/M modifiers, then print this post and hang it near your desk. You’ll be sure to apply the appropriate modifier every time.
Pick Modifier 24 for Post-Op Cases
When you report modifier 24 (Unrelated evaluation and management service by the same physician during a postoperative period), the E/M service must meet these criteria:
• The E/M service occurs during the postoperative period of another procedure.
• The current E/M service is unrelated to the previous procedure.
• The same physician (or tax ID or same group and specialty) who performed the previous procedure provides the E/M.
Red flag: This is true even if the two physicians have different specialties or sub-specialties.
WEBINAR: E/M for Ortho. Where are you losing money?
Equate Modifier 25 With Minor Procedures...
- Free updates on CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS, Medicare, NCCI edits, and ICD-10.
- Discounts on 3rd party offers