Posted on 03. Mar, 2009 by in Toolkit
• The CPT manual denotes them with a “+” to the code’s left
• The CPT code descriptor includes some version of the phrase “list separately in addition to code for primary procedure”
• You should always use them with a “primary” procedure (parent code)
• You should never list them as a primary procedure
• You should never list them with modifier 51 (Multiple procedures) appended
• Carriers should not lower payment as a multiple-procedure reduction.
- Free updates on CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS, Medicare, NCCI edits, and ICD-10.
- Discounts on 3rd party offers