Name: _____________________________________________ Date: _______________
1. A CPT code has ___5_____ digits and an ICD-9-CM code has ___3-5____ digits.
2. Explain the difference between a CPT code and an ICD-9-CM code.
CPT (Current Procedural Terminology), standardized numeric system (5 digits without modifiers) is used to report WHAT medical services and procedures are done to the patient.
ICD9 (International Classification of Diseases – Ninth Edition) a Universal coding system is used to describe WHY a service was performed. Codes range from 3-5 digits.
3. What is the purpose of a modifier?
To identify in certain circumstances that a service or procedure has been altered by some specific circumstance but it has not changed the basic definition or code (this is the literal CPT book definition, but anything remotely close to this is acceptable).
4. What are E&M codes?
Evaluation and Management Codes that describe different levels of physician “visits” in various...
- Free updates on CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS, Medicare, NCCI edits, and ICD-10.
- Discounts on 3rd party offers