Question: I have three questions about using 99051:
1. Should we use 99051 in addition to the E/M code for that service (scheduled hours)?
2. What is the definition of “basic service?”
3. Would you provide references for using this code?
Answer: The answers to your first two questions are easy masterpapers.com. The third is not.
1. Yes. You should always report 99051 (Service[s] provided in the office during regularly scheduled evening, weekend, or holiday office hours, in addition to basic service) in addition to an E/M service. Each of these codes is intended to be reported in addition to the service provided, as indicated in their descriptors.
2. Codes 99050-99060 are often referred to as adjunct services, meaning you should report the codes in addition to the -basic- service. The basic service is the E/M service associated with the special service code. Because 99051 describes...
- Free updates on CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS, Medicare, NCCI edits, and ICD-10.
- Discounts on 3rd party offers