Question: For a lower back ultrasound of a soft tissue mass, which CPT code is appropriate?
Answer: Code 76705 (Ultrasound, abdominal, real time with image documentation; limited [e.g., single organ, quadrant, follow-up]) is appropriate for this lower back ultrasound.
Although the code descriptor states “abdominal” and not “back,” CPT Assistant (May 2009) clarifies that 76705 is appropriate for a lower back or abdominal wall soft tissue mass ultrasound.
Bonus tip: You might be surprised to discover these other not-so-obvious anatomy/code pairings that CPT Assistant supports:
• chest wall, upper back: 76604 (Ultrasound chest [includes mediastinum], real time with image documentation)
• pelvic wall, buttock, perineum: 76857 (Ultrasound, pelvic [nonobstetric], real time with image documentation; limited or follow-up [e.g., for follicles])
• upper extremity, axilla, groin, lower extremity: 76880 (Ultrasound, extremity, nonvascular, real time with image documentation).
© Radiology Coding Alert. Download your 2 FREE sample issues here.
- Free updates on CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS, Medicare, NCCI edits, and ICD-10.
- Discounts on 3rd party offers