Share |

Can You Bill Bilateral Retrogrades?

Posted on 14. Jan, 2009 by in Coding Challenge, Hot Coding Topics

Challenge: When a urologist performs bilateral retrogrades is it allowable to bill 52005-RT and 52005-LT?

Answer: When you are billing Medicare, you use CPT code 52005 (Cystourethroscopy, with ureteral catheterization, with or without irrigation, instillation, or ureteropyelography, exclusive of radiological service) for both unilateral and bilateral retrograde studies.

Alternative: For private or commercial payers, you can code as you suggested, using either 52005-LT (Left side) and 52005-50-RT (Bilateral procedure; right side). Some non-Medicare insurance companies will pay you for each side when you bill for the bilateral studies.

Make sure you’re using LT, RT, and other urology modifiers correctly.

Signup to read articles and receive SuperCoder Bolt Newsletter

Register for Article Access
Access our articles and receive SuperCoder Bolt Newsletter.
You will also receive
  • Free updates on CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS, Medicare, NCCI edits, and ICD-10.
  • Discounts on 3rd party offers
SuperCoder Bolt
You must have javascript enabled to use this form

If you've already signed in and are still seeing this screen, click here to refresh the page.

Tags: , , , , ,